I’m excited about this post since I will introduce one of my favorite Korean foods – oven-baked Korean short ribs. This crowd please is excellent for serving during special occasions.
Whenever the festive or holiday season approaches, I get a lot of requests for Korean foods that are perfect for parties. And I would like to share a special recipe that can also be part of your Korean party food collection, introducing Korean short ribs.
The best thing about oven Korean short ribs is that it is super delicious and tender, but the cooking is effortless. After marinating the beef short ribs, lay them in a baking dish. Then, snuggle them closely together and cover them with aluminum foil. Lastly, bake them in the oven.
If you want to know more about Korean short ribs, keep reading and enjoy!
What are Korean Short Ribs?
Also known as galbi or kalbi, Korean short ribs are a popular delicacy in South Korea. This flavorful dish is ideal for grilling season and for a large group of people.
Usually, diners serve Korean short ribs raw and cooled on tabletop grills. But they are also cooked in the oven. This popular Korean dish is marinated in a sweet and savory sauce that often contains sugar, garlic, and soy sauce.
Ingredients and Steps to Cook Oven-Baked Korean Short Ribs
Cooking Korean short ribs in the oven is super easy and simple. And it is an enjoyable kitchen activity. You can invite your loved ones to join your cooking.
If I say easy, I mean it. You must prepare the marinade by blending different sauce ingredients in a food processor or blender. Marinate the beef short ribs for about 4 hours. Ideally, I marinate them for up to 24 hours to achieve the desired flavor. Then, cook the short ribs for about 8 hours in the oven. Voila – you have delicious and tender short ribs.
Since Korean short ribs are simmered for a long time, you can feel the tenderness in every bite. Before I forget, the smell is also heavenly and tempting.
Most of the time, I prepare these Korean short ribs during special occasions, like birthdays, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas as well as New Year’s Day.
If you want to impress someone on a date night, you cannot go wrong with this Korean dish. So, do not hesitate to try it soon and make your occasion even more special.
When cleaning the meat, expect some small bits of loose fat and bone in this particular cut of meat. Don’t worry; this will help you clean off when washing the meat with ease. After cleaning them, pat them dry using paper towels.
Below are the ingredients and cooking instructions for mouthwatering oven Korean short ribs.
- 4.4 pounds (2kg) of beef back ribs (membrane removed)
- ¾ cup of soy sauce
- 6 tablespoons of brown sugar
- ¼ cup of rice wine
- 1 Asian pear or red apple (8.1oz/230g), cored
- 1 onion (6.3oz/189g)
- 1 tablespoon of minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons of minced ginger
- ¼ teaspoon of ground black paper
- Blend the marinade ingredients in a food processor or blender until smooth.
- Pour the marinade over the short ribs, ensuring to reach all parts of the meat. Cover and transfer the meat to the refrigerator,
- Marinate the meat for at least 4 hours or 24 hours for maximum results.
- Preheat the oven to 100°C or 212°F for 20 minutes.
- Lay aluminum foil or waxed baking paper on a roasting pan or baking sheet.
- Place the marinated beef short ribs and splash some marinade but discard most of the sauce.
- Cook the meat for 35 or 45 minutes in the oven.
- Take the meat out and carve.
- Serve and enjoy!
Like typical Korean BBQs, you can serve these baked beef short ribs with steamed rice, Korean spicy dipping sauce, lettuce leaves, and of course, the ever-popular kimchi. I also make pickled carrots and radishes to compliment these ribs.
For Korean side dishes, you will love eating oven Korean short ribs with zucchini side dishes, Korean spicy bean sprouts, or spinach side dishes.
You can use kitchen shears or a knife to cut the mean. After cutting into smaller pieces, you have some lettuce leaves and add the meat to make great lettuce wraps.
Are Korean Ribs Similar to Short Ribs
New Zealand short ribs, known as short ribs, are about ½ inch in diameter. They are cut from the cow’s lower end of the leg. The meat comes with deep red color and is lean.
On the other hand, Korean ribs are usually larger, around 1 ½ inch in diameter. They have a light brown color. Also, they offer a more intense flavor.
Do You Wrap Korean Short Ribs in the Oven?
Yes. Wrapping Korean short ribs in foil or waxed baking paper help keep them warm and delicious. On the other hand, you have to consider a few things before wrapping the short ribs in foil, such as:
- Ensure the Korean short ribs are cooked through. If not, cooking them further in the oven results in overcooking.
- Apply the desired spices or flavorings before wrapping the ribs in foil. If not, they will taste unappetizing and bland.
Can You Cook Korean Short Ribs in the Oven Even Without Foil?
Yes. It is still possible to cook Korean short ribs in the oven even if you have no or don’t want to use foil to wrap them.
Cooking Korean short ribs in the oven is very popular because of the quick and even results while leaving the racks with no lines or streaks. If you plan to cook them in the oven without using foil, here are some tips:
- First, preheat the oven to 212°F before cooking the ribs. This ensures both the fat and the meat are cooked through. So, you will get an even dish.
- Place each rib in a large enough baking dish, holding them at once.
- Cook the meat in the oven for about 35 to 45 minutes. You can flip the meat halfway through for even cooking.
- Remove the meat from the oven. You can garnish the dish with sesame seeds and sliced onions.
Should You Serve Korean Short Ribs as A Side Dish or Main Dish?
You can choose from a side dish and main course when serving oven Korean short ribs. Each serving has unique benefits.
Remember, short ribs are often cut into individual pieces. This makes them suitable for serving as a main dish. Serving short ribs as your main dish offers ease of preparation and great taste. Since they have a few liquids in the center, they remain tender.
However, that is also possible if you want them as a side dish. You can do it by cutting the short ribs into large cubes. But expect something other than the tenderness you can get when served as the main dish.
When cutting the short rubs into chunks, ensure to get them in the same size pieces. You must cut them into cubes before cooking. Also, you have to prepare the sauce. Although you can buy BBQ sauce from grocery stores, you can make it from scratch.
Don’t want to wait for long time marinade Korean Short Ribs, find all-you-can-eat Korean BBQ near you to enjoy Korean Short Ribs and other variety of meats.