You just got some pre-cooked lobster and want to heat it up for a delicious meal. But how do you properly cook lobster that’s already cooked so it turns out tender and flavorful? Don’t worry, we’ve got you covered.
Assess the Lobster’s Current State
First, inspect the pre-cooked lobster carefully. Check if it’s completely frozen or if it’s thawed. This will determine the heating method. Frozen lobster needs gentle defrosting before cooking.
If the lobster is:
- Frozen – Defrost it slowly in the fridge overnight. This prevents damage from ice crystals.
- Thawed – It’s ready for one of the cooking methods below.
- Previously cooked and refrigerated – It can also be reheated using the techniques described next.
Choosing the Best Cooking Method
There are several ways to cook already cooked lobster depending on whether you want to highlight its natural flavor or add complementary flavors.
This simple, quick method yields delicious results:
- Bring water to a gentle simmer in a large pot.
- Add defrosted or thawed lobster and poach for 5-10 minutes until heated through.
- For added flavor, use seafood stock or broth enhanced with herbs, garlic, citrus zest.
- Serve with clarified butter or olive oil and freshly squeezed lemon.
Steaming locks in moisture and showcases the lobster’s natural sweetness:
- In a large pot, bring 2 inches of water to a boil.
- Place lobster in a steamer basket or colander, set over boiling water.
- Steam covered for 7-12 minutes depending on size.
- Finish with fresh herbs like dill, chives or tarragon.
Oven roasting adds depth of flavor and creates a beautifully browned crust:
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Toss lobster pieces in melted butter, garlic, paprika, salt and pepper.
- Roast on a sheet pan for 12-15 minutes until heated through.
- Sprinkle with parsley and lemon zest before serving.
The smoky aroma of grilling enhances lobster’s sweetness:
- Oil the grill grates and preheat grill to medium high.
- Grill lobster pieces basted with a seasoned butter blend for 6-8 minutes per side.
- Consider using wood chunks like apple, cherry or alder for extra smoke.
- Drizzle with fresh lime juice and cilantro before serving.
Handling and Serving Cooked Lobster
Now that you’ve cooked that lobster, learn how to handle it properly for serving:
- Let it rest: Allow the lobster to sit for 5 minutes before serving. This allows heat to evenly distribute.
- Check for doneness: Meat should be opaque and firm. If undercooked, return to heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Crack the shell: Use lobster crackers to split open tails, claws, and legs. Extract meat gently.
- Serve with drawn butter: Clarified butter is the perfect dip for lobster meat. Season it with herbs, garlic, citrus for extra flavor.
- Chill leftovers properly: Store lobster meat covered in fridge for up to 2 days. Reheat gently before serving again.
Handy Tips for Perfect Results
Follow these tips to take your reheated lobster from great to outstanding:
- Add flavor – Enhance broth or steaming liquid with wine, citrus juices, or aromatics.
- Prevent drying – Basting, butter and steam help keep lobster moist as it reheats.
- Adjust time for size – Larger lobster pieces may need more time to heat through completely.
- Use a thermometer – Check inner temperature of thickest part reaches 145°F to ensure doneness.
- Rest before serving – Letting lobster sit 5 minutes after cooking allows moisture to distribute evenly.
Get Creative With Leftovers
Don’t toss leftover lobster! You can transform it into totally new dishes:
- Fold chunks into omelets, quiches or frittatas for a luxe breakfast.
- Toss with pasta or rice along with sautéed vegetables for a simple meal.
- Mix diced lobster with mayo, lemon and herbs for an easy salad topping or sandwich filling.
- Add to chowders, bisques or seafood stews as they simmer for bonus flavor.
- Grill or oven roast in slices or skewers for lobster tacos or slider sandwiches.
With the proper handling and cooking, reheating pre-cooked lobster can be easy and delicious. Now that you know the best preparation methods, get ready to enjoy this luxurious seafood whenever you want.