Mexican cuisine is beloved for its bold, savory flavors. But with hearty ingredients like cheese, sour cream and pork, some dishes can be high in calories. Fortunately, there are many ways to enjoy the delicious tastes of Mexico while keeping your meal relatively low in calories.
Healthier Swaps for Traditional Favorites
With a few simple substitutions, you can still indulge in your favorite Mexican dishes without going overboard on calories.
- Choose grilled chicken or shrimp instead of higher-calorie meats like steak or chorizo.
- Opt for soft corn tortillas rather than deep-fried shells or flour tortillas.
- Load up on fresh vegetables like peppers, tomatoes, onions and lettuce.
- Use tomatillo or pico de gallo salsa instead of heavy cheese or sour cream sauces.
- Skip the tortilla chips and enjoy fresh veggies with guacamole for dipping.
- Order salad instead of rice for a lighter side.
Making these swaps allows you to cut calories while preserving the delicious flavors.
Lighter Takes on Classic Dishes
You can also opt for lighter versions of popular Mexican meals.
Grilled Chicken Tacos
Chicken thigh or breast marinated in lime juice and spices is a leaner taco filling. Serve in corn tortillas with tomato salsa and cabbage slaw.
Build a bowl with brown rice, black beans, grilled veggies, chicken and fresh salsa. Skip the tortilla to save calories.
Baked Chile Rellenos
Roast poblano peppers instead of frying, and stuff with cheese, beans or lean ground turkey.
Mix sautéed onions and bell peppers with shrimp or flank steak. Serve in lettuce cups instead of tortillas.
Soft Fish Tacos
Choose a lean white fish like tilapia or cod, and add zesty seasoning. Top with cabbage and salsa in a soft corn tortilla.
More Crave-Worthy Low-Calorie Options
Beyond the classics, try these flavorful Mexican dishes under 500 calories per serving:
- Shrimp Ceviche – Raw shrimp “cooked” in lime juice with onion, peppers and cilantro.
- Chicken Tortilla Soup – Simmer chicken and veggies in a zesty broth. Top with avocado instead of tortilla strips.
- Grilled Steak Salad – Toss sautéed onions and peppers with romaine lettuce. Top with sliced grilled sirloin.
- Vegetable Enchiladas – Roast squash, peppers and onions, then wrap in corn tortillas with salsa verde.
- Baja Fish Tacos – Lightly fried cod topped with crunchy slaw and a spicy crema sauce.
With a focus on lean proteins, fresh produce and strategic ingredient swaps, you can feast on Mexican flavors while keeping calories in check. Add hot sauce for extra zing without the excess calories!